A Roof Over Your Head

If you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, here is a partial list of resources in the Valley that may help you find shelter if you need it, or avoid losing your current home.

First, resources provided by the state:

Holyoke Transitional Assistance Office
72-100 Front Street, Holyoke, 413-552-5400

Greenfield Transitional Assistance Office
143 Munson Street, Unit #3, Greenfield, 413-772-3400

Springfield/Liberty Transitional Assistance Office
95 Liberty Street, 413-858-1000

Then there is an umbrella agency that can help the homeless, or those on the brink of homelessness, in many ways. It’s HAP Housing, headquartered in Springfield at 322 Main Street; call 4313-233-1500 and ask to speak to a housing specialist.

HAP helped some 400 families find shelter after the tornado that battered Springfield last year, and help for those still in need because of that storm is available through December of this year. HAP is the go-to agency for information about whether you are eligible for financial help to help keep you in your current home, or assistance through the state’s RAFT (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) program.

If you are facing possible homelessness because of foreclosure, help may be available to get concessions from your lender and keep you in your house. Contact the Western Massachusetts Foreclosure Prevention Center at 413-233-1622 or 1-800-332-9667.

Serving Franklin and Hampshire counties are ServiceNet’s Franklin County and Northampton area shelters. Eligibility requirements and availability of space vary; call 413-585-1300 in Hampshire County, 413-774-6382 in Franklin County.

In Amherst, Craig’s Place offers shelter from November through April. It’s located in the First Baptist Church (413-549-3596).

Northampton’s Interfaith Emergency Shelter offers shelter and dinner to over 20 homeless individuals during very cold nights. Call 413-586-2354.

Open all year is Springfield’s Friends of the Homeless Shelter at 755 Worthington Street (413-732-3069).

Loreto House at 51 Hamilton St. in Holyoke operates a 24-hour transitional center for homeless men (413-533-5909).

A Family Place, operated by the New England Farm Workers Council and located at 288 Oak Street in Holyoke, offers shelter and case management to help families get back on their feet. Call 413-536-2787.

Main Street Shelter at 319 Main Street in Holyoke serves homeless families and single pregnant women, offering not only quarters but help with employment and housing searches. Call 413-534-2466.

In southern Vermont, Morningside Shelter offers a range of services, from job training and placement to child care and help finding permanent housing (81 Royal Road, Brattleboro, 802-257-0066).

Author: Stephanie Kraft

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for our daily newsletter!

You don't want to be left out, do you?

Sign up!

You have Successfully Subscribed!